Back in 2003, I registered the
net-ldap project on RubyForge. I had time
available, and I thought I needed LDAP for a project I was working on. As I started
looking at the implementation of LDAP, I found that there were things more
interesting and more pressing that I could work on. Then, as now, I wasn’t
sure that I wanted to understand LDAP.
So, the net-ldap project lay fallow until May 2006, when I recruited Francis Cianfrocca (@garbagecat) to work on it. He had the experience and drive I was looking for—and he agreed with me that the API mattered and that a pure-Ruby implementation was important, rather than an extension/binding like ruby-ldap. (At the time, Ruby FFI did not exist, and I would not have wanted to use that in any case for the same reason that I didn’t want an extension.)
Francis put out a few great versions, but it was never a primary focus—and the project lay fallow for a while. I came back to the project and in 2010, I joined Rory O’Connor (@RoryO) and Kaspar Schiess (@kschiess). We made a few releases, with the last release that I was involved with being 0.3.1 in 2012.
There were a number of bugs that were not being addressed, and I finally spoke with Michael Schaarschmidt and Kenny Ortmann (@yairgo) in February, and granted them development permissions on the project. Their releases have been consistent and regular since March. They have also had Jerry Cheung (@jch) and Matt Todd (@mtodd) from GitHub join the project.
Tonight, I asked Michael to take ownership of the organization, and he accepted. I am no longer involved with Net::LDAP for Ruby, and I am happy to be passing it on Michael and the team he’s working with.